- Cases, Bags & Housings
- Follow Focus
- Tripods and Grip
- Recording Media
Sonnet Echo Express III-R Rackmount 3-slot Thunderbolt 2 Expansion Chassis for PCIe cards
In stock with our Supplier ready to ship in 1-2 working days, but may be subject to variations.Owners of Thunderbolt connected computers can now attach PCI cards externally and add massive functionality to their system.
Sonnet Echo Express III-R
The Sonnet Echo Express III-R very quiet, very flexible and very necessary. Owners of Thunderbolt connected computers can now attach PCI cards externally and add massive functionality to their system. Even large, power-hungry cards are now supported by this 20Gb/s unit which also includes two 5.25-inch bays that can accept hard drives, SSDs, LTO decks and more.
Use Up to Three PCIe Cards with Computers Lacking Expansion Slots
Today’s ultra-light notebooks, mini, and all-in-one desktop computers now have tremendous processing power–power that many thought would only be possible in full-size workstation or large desktop computers. Smaller in size and more portable, they’re very desirable. For pros in the creative fields, processing power alone is not enough. A prime example is the new Mac Pro. Proven to be a processing powerhouse and packed with Thunderbolt 2 and USB 3.0 ports, it lacks the PCIe expansion slots necessary to install specialty cards to connect various video and audio inputs, for transcoding data, and to connect to high-speed storage and networks. With the Echo Express III-R, Sonnet has created a solution that leverages the paradigm shift enabled by Thunderbolt technology, allowing PCIe expansion slots to be connected outside a computer. This rackmount Thunderbolt-to-PCIe card expansion chassis makes it possible for you to connect three professional video capture, audio interface, SAS or SATA HBA, 16Gb or 8Gb Fibre Channel, 10 Gigabit Ethernet, and RAID controller PCIe cards to any Mac® with a Thunderbolt port.
Featuring 20Gbps Thunderbolt 2 technology that provides sufficient bandwidth to support many of the highest performance and most demanding PCIe cards, the Echo Express III-R delivers maximum performance when connected to a computer with Thunderbolt 2. The III-R is also fully compatible with computers with 10Gbps Thunderbolt technology, supporting the majority of cards at full-performance.
Sonnet Echo Express III-R has Three Slots, No Compromise
Sonnet’s Echo Express III-R supports three full-size PCIe cards, up to 12.28″ (full-length). The III-R integrates a universal 300W power supply and includes a 75W PCIe power connector for cards that require supplementary power, such as the Avid® Pro Tools|HDX or the new RED® ROCKET-X. Even with all that power, the III-R is enviro-friendly; it automatically powers on or off whenever the connected computer powers on or wakes, or powers off or sleeps, respectively. The use of large, slow-spinning fans in the Echo Express III-R makes it a remarkably quiet operator. Two Thunderbolt ports support daisy chaining of up to six devices to a single port on your computer.
Built for Speed
20Gbps Thunderbolt 2 technology-equipped computers are here. The original 10Gbps Thunderbolt interface has provided breakthrough bandwidth for external expansion, more than sufficient to support the maximum performance of most PCIe cards. However, some high bandwidth cards such as the RED ROCKET, 16Gb Fibre Channel, multi-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet cards, or the use of other bandwidth-hungry cards require more than 10Gbps. Thunderbolt 2 removes this barrier by providing more bandwidth for demanding applications. The Echo Express III-R’s Thunderbolt 2 interface takes full advantage of this increased bandwidth to ensure optimum performance from installed cards when the chassis is connected to a Thunderbolt 2-equipped computer. Need to connect to a computer equipped with 10Gbps Thunderbolt? No problem, the Echo Express III-R is fully compatible with earlier generation Thunderbolt computers as well.
Smart Design Inside and Out
Constructed of heavy-duty steel, the Echo Express III-R’s enclosure not only provides secure mounting for the inner assembly and protection for the PCIe cards installed inside, but it supports maximum airflow for cooling, regardless of where it is installed in a rack. The fans are variable-speed and temperature-controlled, and the computer-modeled airflow management ensures that even hot-running cards and the chassis’ components remain reliably cool without the need to install an extra PCIe blower card that would prevent the use of one of the three slots. Because the fans automatically speed up and slow down as needed, there is no guesswork in setting a switch position, and no need for tools to change fan speed settings. Since Echo Express products automatically power on and off with your computer, there is no power switch needed on the chassis. The III-R includes adjustable and removable rackmount extension rails that allow the chassis to be installed securely in a variety of racks from 16″ to 24″ deep. The III-R provides space for other equipment, too. Utilizing the optional Echo Express III-R Mobile Rack Kit, you can install two 5.25-inch form factor mobile rack devices (sold separately) in the III-R’s enclosure without taking up additional rack space.
RED ROCKET Supporter
If you’re a RED ROCKET user, you already know that the card normally takes up two PCIe slots—one for the card itself and another for the BNC connector bracket (for HD-SDI output). Sonnet designed the Echo Express III-R to accommodate the card/bracket pair in a single slot. This Echo chassis includes mounting holes designed specifically for the installation of two BNC connectors, enabling you to install the RED ROCKET card in one slot and its BNC connectors in the Echo chassis’ mounting holes, leaving the two remaining slots open. The extra bandwidth afforded by the Thunderbolt 2 interface significantly doubles the ROCKET’s throughput, too.
The Echo Express III-R was designed to be remarkably quiet so that it can be comfortably used in noise-sensitive environments .
Thunderbolt Cable Lock Included
Sonnet Echo Express III-R includes a lock that secures Thunderbolt connectors(3) in place plugged into the Echo chassis. It is easy to install and prevents accidental cable disconnections.
Every Thunderbolt-Compatible Card Supported
The Echo Express III-R supports three standard width, full-length PCIe cards, or one double-width, full-length card plus one single-width card, enabling it to support every Thunderbolt-compatible card available. PCIe 1.1, PCIe 2.0, and PCIe 3.0 cards are supported.
Sonnet Echo Express III-R Features:
- Provides PCIe Card Expansion — Use high-performance PCIe cards with Thunderbolt-equipped computers
- Thunderbolt 2 Interface — Maximum performance with computers with Thunderbolt 2 technology, backward compatible with host computers and other devices equipped with 10Gbps Thunderbolt technology
- Three PCIe Slots — Supports three full-length, full-height, single-width cards, or one double-width card plus one single-width card
- Remarkably Quiet — Large, temperature-controlled, variable-speed fans that automatically cool the cards, plus computer-modeled design that reduces airflow turbulence and velocity, combine to provide quieter cooling for all cards
- Integrated Universal Power Supply — Built-in 300W power supply with 75W auxiliary power connector
- Rugged Steel Housing — Provides robust and secure protection for any environment
- Every Thunderbolt-Compatible Card Supported — Works with every Thunderbolt-compatible PCIe card, regardless of length or height
- As well as the Sonnet Echo Express III-R we have an incredibly wide range of Video Processing Equipment and Accessories for all your content creation requirements. Have a look at the main page for more products that will help with your shoot.Since the 1930’s PEC has always been a leading light of the British Film industry, to this day we still stock a wide range of film products, from splicing tape, magnetic stock and spacing all in 16mm, 35mm and 70mm to CIR Splicers, Viewers and Competitors (Picsync)As well as our film equipment we also stock a wide range of cutting edge cameras and supporting technology, including Audio, LIGHTING, MEDIA, POWER, EQUIPMENT SUPPORTS, MONITORS and much more.We also offer an in-house product repair and service. Our other services include: Broadcast Studio Design, System Integration, Studio automation and networking.